Transistor Specification Selection Guide
as an Amplifier
- Gain measures the amplification of the transistor.
- Gain depends on the matching circuit.
- For an unconditionally stable transistor, use Maximum Available Gain (MAG).
- For a conditionally stable transistor, use Maximum Stable Gain (MSG).
- For a low noise amplifier use Associated Gain (Ga).
- For a power amplifier, use Gain at P out = P 1 dB (G 1dB).
- More is better (but above 15 dB, more often leads to stability concerns)
- 10-15+ dB (may be lower as low as 6 dB for power), decreasing 6 dB/octave with frequency